I qualified as a primary teacher in 1997 after pursuing a 4 year degree course in Mathematics and Education with Qualified Teacher Status. I have taught in London and Derbyshire primary schools, with much of my work specialising in working with children in Numeracy and Mathematics. I began my tutoring service in September 2011 and currently have a range of students from KS1 through to AS level.
I have particular experience with
- KS2 SATS Booster work for maths and science
- Maths extension work in years 5 and 6, including level 6 work
- Targeted numeracy work with KS1 and KS2 children
- Tutoring for KS2 SATs and GCSE mathematics exams at both foundation and higher levels
- Functional skills tests in numeracy
- QTS professional skills tests in numeracy
I believe that students learn mathematics best when they are provided with fun, stimulating and purposeful activities, designed to suit their level and learning style. I have an absolute passion for learning mathematics having struggled with maths in my time, so I can empathise with learners who find some concepts difficult. I make good use of my own experiences to break learning into manageable steps, or to try a different way until we find one that works. Inspiring confidence and an ‘I can do it’ attitude is absolutely crucial when it comes to learning mathematics and the rewards. I use many games and activities, and I especially enjoy bringing maths to life for children and students.
Qualifications and Training/Education
- 2002 – 2005 Open University MA in Education
- 1992 – 1997 S. Martins college, Lancaster B.Sc Mathematics with QTS 2:1
I have a current enhanced CRB check and references which are available on request, as are my degree and teaching certificates.
During 2013 and 2014, I attended a TAM course (Teaching Advanced Mathematics) with MEI- Mathematics in Education and Industry. This is a well regarded course and is of particular use for my work with higher level GCSE and AS level students.
To book a lesson or to speak to me about my tuition and education services, contact me on 01773 599626 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your enquiry in further detail.